Alanis Morissette pretends to be Tori Amos covering "My Humps." Fine. Ha. But the video, a hipster satire of what Alanis Morissette's video director apparently thinks is a typical hip hop video/possibly a bit of self mockery (alanis looking tortured and being smothered in falling pillow down) strikes me as just sort of disturbing, both politically and aesthetically. We have reached a point where white hipsters dancing around to instrumental mimcry of bad hip hop is neither funny or ironic, in either the actual definition of irony or the Alanis Morissette definition of irony, which is like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a fork or some shit like that. In case I have left any doubt, the black eyed peas vie with the killers for the worst band ever apellation. They make Jefferson Starship look like a band with integrity. We built this shitty.
I bought a bunch of CDs yesterday, and I haven't had the chance to listen to all of them yet, but my favorite so far is the Numero Group's latest installment in their fantastic "Eccentric Soul" series, the compilation Twinight's Lunar Rotation, which delves deep into the catalogue of said Chicago soul label in the late 1960s and early 1970s. I also watched the first few episodes of season 3 of the wire, which is this far not as powerful or nuanced as the first two seasons. I saw Grindhouse last night. It's ridiculous, easily the best film Rodriguez has ever made, and less annoying than Kill Bill. I am not sure whether I really like it - i have many problems with Tarantino and Rodriguez both, but it's certainly an interesting way to spend three and a half hours.
A seldom-updated blog about labor and universities and sometimes other stuff
Saturday, April 7, 2007
Please explain
Labels:
the wire
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment