Saturday, September 30, 2006

No Hugs

The final question of the evening came from Andre -----, a student senator and a graduate student, who asked, “Why do you feel entitled to hug everyone?”
- Washington Square News. 9/28/2006 (surname witheld to protect the innocent.)


This song is about John Sexton. It is dedicated to andre, but he holds no culpability in it. For that, blame me and the ghost of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes.

"No Hugs"
To the Tune of "No Scrubs, of course."

John Sexton tells a lot of lies
and he's a union buster
always talkin' about what he wants
no negotiations, just impasse
so (no)
I don't want your embrace
no I don't wanna give you mine
and no I don't wanna meet you nowhere
no I don't want none of your slime and no
Chorus:

I don't want no hugs
when a hug is a gesture of patriarchy
and I simply won't abide
all the times he lied
trying to intimidate me
I don't want no hugs
when a hug is a gesture of patriarchy
and I simply won't abide
all the times he lied
trying to intimidate me

Yeah your hugs freakin me
and your logic's kinda weak
and i know that you cannot approach me
cuz I'm teachin' my class and you treat me like trash
Sittin' in Bobst on your rich ass

So (no)
I don't want your embrace
no I don't wanna give you mine
and no I don't wanna meet you nowhere
especially at an innapropriate time and no

I don't want no hugs
when a hug is a gesture of patriarchy
and I simply won't abide
all the times he lied
trying to intimidate me
I don't want no hugs
when a hug is a gesture of patriarchy
and I simply won't abide
all the times he lied
trying to intimidate me

If I'm on the picket line walking
Oh Sexton I'm talking to you
If you thrive on megalomaniacal drama
Oh Sexton I'm talking to you
Yeah we have a union but you show no love
Oh Sexton I'm talking to you
Wanna quiet me with no contract
oh no I don't want no hugs
No hugs
No hugs
No No
No hugs
No no no no
No no
Chorus (until fade)

2 comments:

  1. Nice but, to be fair, are you really going to start hugging him when we get a contract?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Us winning a contract, or smashing the state and leveling the structuires of capitaqlist rule or whatever won't make sexton any less of a fascist, and thus i will never want to hug him. The point of the song is that a hug from a deranged megalomaniac is no substitute for a collective bargaining relationship with one's employer.

    ReplyDelete