A seldom-updated blog about labor and universities and sometimes other stuff
Monday, June 19, 2006
Pandas on Strike
While in DC for a friend's wedding (which was really beautiful and amazing, but I am going to refrain here from blogging about it) I attempted a pilgrimage to see Tai Shan, the baby panda at the National Zoo about whom i have blogged incessantly here. Needless to say, I was very excited. Unfortunately, Tai Shan and his mother, Mei Xiang, were both nowhere to be found in their yard, and the inside exibit was actually closed, leading me to conclude that what was taking place was in fact a wildcat (or, in this case, domesticated bear) strike. I have no way to substantiate this claim, but I stand by it nonetheless and pledge my full support to my furry companero who is currently climbing all over his mother. I did get to see a baby elephant dribble a ball around with its snout, just in time for the world cup, a hippopotamus swim really fast underwater and then take an unusually violent bowel movement, and some really freaking cute golden lion tamarins. And no, i'm not starting the monkey obsession again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
tai shan was in nyc this weekend visiting his father, john sexton.
ReplyDeletegotta love neoliberalism...
I am mentally picturing the climactic scene from The Empire Strikes Back, only with a much more heavyset Darth Vader and translated from the Panda. Although i think Tian Tian would be surprised to learn that he isn't he fauther and might maul Darth Sexton like an Ewok on speedballs. Also, i still think the Pandas were on strike and aren't neoliberals. They're way too cute to be neoliberal.
ReplyDeleteWe spend an inordinate amount of time at work watching the PandaCam. It's one of the best parts of my job.
ReplyDelete