Thursday, August 22, 2013

I wrote something for The New Inquiry about birdwatching's politics of representation, occasioned by the publication of Richard Crossley's new Crossley ID Guide: Raptors.  It was hard to write, because writing about birds is a pretty new thing for me, and if I keep doing it I think I need to engage both visual culture theory and animal studies a bit more deeply than I have in the past, (though I did read several texts of the latter in preparation for this article.)  I'm happy with how it turned out though and I'm excited about where it's published - TNI is a pretty great site that folks should be reading and subscribing to if you are not already doing so.

2 comments:

  1. Zach,
    J'ai lu votre analyse et l'ai trouvé intéressante pour deux raisons : la critique ornithologique est assez rare, et plus rarement encore politique. Merci pour cette belle surprise.
    D.M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach,

    De rien !
    "engage both visual culture theory and animal studies"
    Oui. J'en suis, moi, à tenter de lier linguistique et ornithologie. Tenter une morphophonologie à la Troubetzkoy en comparant les chants d'oiseaux…
    Si vous avez ou voyez quelque chose là-dessus, faites-moi signe !

    D.M.

    ReplyDelete