A seldom-updated blog about labor and universities and sometimes other stuff
Saturday, November 20, 2010
NO GOD, NO COUNTRIES, NO YALE!
In honor of the Harvard-Yale game, which I have never been to, and the inevitable flood of nostalgic and slightly jingoistic, though i don't mean to be an asshole, facebook updates from people i haven't seen in at least five years. Obviously I'm riffing off Ni dieu ni maitre and "for god, for country...", and I don't actually really want to claim secularism as some kind of revolutionary position at this point, when in many ways it's profoundly not and is often complicit in projects like homonationalism and other ways in which folks deploy liberalism to justify postmodern imperial projects like the invasion of Afghanistan. Plus, I know many great organizers and committed radicals who approach what they do from a (critical engagement with their) religious standpoint, and I have a lot of respect for them. I also believe strongly in the power of ritual in anticapitalist and antiauthoritarian forms of religious practice, and here i'm thinking of stuff like freedom seders, even though i'm pretty estranged from Judaism - maybe even moreso than i'd like to be. I should also probably throw in "no bosses," or risk overdetermining the role of the state in relation to the capitalist class whose interests it mediates and regulates.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment