I tried writing a year end post on the subway on wednesday night shuttling back and forth btw manhattan and brooklyn so i could go into the city then back to my apt then back to the city because i forgot my ID to get into a bar/club i had no desire to go to, because I don't drink and i don't like crowded clubs on new years where drunk people I don't know elbow me. Anyway it wasn't a productive excercise, and I'm too busy at the moment to give such an endeavor the attention it would command of me.
Anyway, I (re-sort of)read "The Power of Women and The Subversion of The Community" yesterday, and today, I'm going to walk into the city and read a lot of Gramsci.
Two quick links on universities and debt. David Swensen is buying it up and a university near you is making deals with credit cards to profit from students', alumni, and workers' financial insecurity.
random ten
I put my ipod on shuffle and this is what it played.
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
Super Rail Band - Maliyo (From Rail Band vol 1. This is really great.)
Fela Kuti - ODOO
Toots and The Maytals - Careless Ethiopians
Edd Henry - Your Replacement Is Here
Desmond Dekker - Big Headed
Vic's Pick - Damaged (From the Version City compilation. Late '90s NYC dub.)
MIA - Pull Up The People
Woody Guthrie - I Ain't Got No Home
Beck - Dead Melodies. I thought this album was really great in 1998. Now I am not so sure, which probably has a lot to do with the whole scientology thing and everything isnce Midnight Vultures being exceedingly boring.
No comments:
Post a Comment