Friday, November 21, 2008

This week has been a rather brutal one for several reasons. I'm going to have to get my wisdom teeth pulled, and my mouth hurts. So does my skull. My 92 year old grandparents and my sexagenarian parents were in a harrowing car crash that they are very lucky to have survived and survived with only bruises and aches (and I am very lucky that they did so.) Work is piling up, and I'm wondering again what the hell I'm doing here, and feeling generally useless, and not at all surprised by that study that suggests the more tv you watch the unhappier you are - in college, when i was much smarter than i am now, i would have said this was reductionist and indicative of the obsession of a particularly fraction of the bourgeoisie with policing the consumption practices of the less cultured (in the Arnoldian/Bordieuian sense.) Now I'm cursing ridiculous Grey's Anatomy plotlines and wondering why my head feels so heavy (is it the teeth? My brain atrophying? Stress?) And I'm staring at this and wondering who drew it. (Book doesn't specifically say, but credits one Andy Dark with the jacket design. Dark, according to Ashley Dawson, was an antiracist SWP youth organizer, so this makes some sense, though the image reminds me of the style of the "deconstructionist" british comic books of the time (1988. Brian Bolland, David Lloyd, maybe. Some of the people doing Moore's Miracleman.) This may be because I'm an idiot. Perhaps this image is really famous, and i'm just two ignorant of the cultural iconography of Thatcherite Britain to realize it.

Anyway.

Random ten songs from the ipod:

Beatles - Polythene Pam
Voices of East Harlem - Music in the Air
Sleater-Kinney - Steep Air
Desmond Dekker & The Aces - Rudy Got Soul
Amy Winehouse - Rehab. forgot i owned this album.
Le Tigre - LT Tour Theme
Miles Davis - Darn That Dream
Rufus Thomas - Do That Push and Pull (Part 1)
Nathan Wilkes - Strenge Feeling
Jackie Mittoo - Black Organ

No comments:

Post a Comment