Bunch of never completed draft posts recently, one a reprise of a long ago reflection on airports as sites of rupture in which a racialized coloniality of power becomes visible, one on the mets, one on the ways liberals and even some on the left have been critiquing the Palinite railing against elites (by poo-pooing class resentment rather than acknowledging it and the genius of the right's political project,) and one on Some Kind of Wonderful as a potential originary moment for hipster metrosexuality. I'm never going to finish them, because none of them were really all that good.
Albuquerque was pretty good. Bought a lot of cheap books. (Newfield and Gordon's edited volume Mapping Multiculturalism and Priscilla Long's 1969 collection on the new left dirt cheap from an awesome used book and record store. And Keywords in American Cultural Studies, Geoff Mann's Our Daily Bread, and Nancy MacLean's The Opening of the American Workplace from the university press displays. I haven't cracked any of them yet, because I'm too busy, but i did read about 150 pages of Alicia Schmidt Camacho's Migrant Imaginaries on various planes and airport stopovers, and it's really great.
I've not read the rest, but Nancy's book is awesome. It did the rare thing of changing my mind on the role of the state in political movements, and the importance of studying the state in history.
ReplyDelete