Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Tornado Grows In Brooklyn

This morning, a tornado hit my neighborhood and Bay Ridge just to the south of us, and did some serious damage down there. My block was unscathed, but the area most badly hit is only about a mile from my apartment. I had a post up about the tornado drills they used to make me do in elementary school and the disaster that eventually struck my high school on April 4, 1991, which had nothing to do with tornados, but it was off topic, and, while I'd moved away a year before it happened, traumatic enough for folks i grew up with that i thought better of detailing it without justification, so I scrapped it.

The only other time I have been near a tornado was on the 4th of July, 1998, in eastern Montana. I was doing this frustratingly bourgie and colonialist "build a playground on an Indian reservation" thing and we had gone to some town where there were fireworks and loud 70's and 80's rock (i.e. "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A." We could see the storm coming and we thought we were going to be hit, but then it turned around and went the other way. I think there was a Dairy Queen involved. My otherwise eidetic memory seems to be failing me.

Dentist tomorrow, then CGEU this weekend, and then marathon paper writing, take N.

No comments:

Post a Comment