Thursday, July 19, 2007

"I'll Be There In An Hour?"

I finally heard the famous "Tim Version" (sans horns, alternate lyrics, and plus a little Bob Stinson guitar wankery) of "Can't Hardly Wait." It's intriguing, much more traditionally replacementsish (if such a descriptor makes any sense whatsoever) than the version which appears on Pleased To Meet Me. It's a little harsher. But ultimately I think it's a weaker song. The horns lend the PtMM version an epic presence that the earlier version lacks. But some of Stinson's guitar flourishes are nice, reminding the listener of how good Stinson could be when not totally fucked up, which, apparently, was all too rare, and Alex Chilton's production on the Tim cut sounds crisper than the Jim Dickinson version. But I'm declaring my allegiance to the sax lines and borrowed stamps of the later version. I might change my mind if you convince me that I'm wrong.

Meanwhile I take a break from an extended Curtis Mayfield bender to appreciate Sleater-Kinney's "What If I Was Right," which appeared on a Kill Rock Stars compilation in 2000 but was clearly recorded during the Hot Rock era and which I would place next to the other great b-sides from that era ("by the time you're 25," and "tapping,") as songs which could easily have been put on the finished album without reducing the quality or power of the finished product.

Also i want to link to what may well be the best music blog ever. In particular, check out his entry on Roy C's "Open Letter to The President." Unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment