Monday, February 5, 2007

Shocking, I know, but today's WSN is actually pretty interesting. First, one editor/columnist has it out with NYU's model for becoming a global university: (which consrtis of - what else - buying real estate.)

I experienced NYU in London, so I can say with certainty that there was nothing global or multicultural about it. Students don't get the option to find a flat, so I was crammed into a British take on an NYU dorm with four other American women. It was really nice, and I got on well with my roommates, but that's beside my main gripe. We all went to classes in one central building - it was something like NYU High. This academic center was located in a really posh townhouse on gorgeous Georgian Bedford Square, but it wasn't an English university or even a simulacrum of an English university. It was very nice, but between living and learning with American NYU students, my horizons were hardly expanded.

To me, this system feels like colonization: NYU goes abroad to share its ideas with the locals, and NYU students do their part for university PR while failing to be tainted by another culture that could turn them against their alma mater. I realize that's insane, but it occurred to me repeatedly as I thought about it: Students don't need to study at an NYU in Elsewhere to become acculturated. Cynics have pointed out that NYU study abroad sites are great cash cows. I asked Nyarko if these sites turn a profit. His answer? "We don't seek to make a profit." Reassuring, I suppose, but evasive nevertheless.

Now, I don't necessarily think NYU should dump its own sites; plenty of students adore the unadventurous option. But for the love of God, please make it possible for students to take a semester or two away without having to take a leave of absence. Exploring something new for a year doesn't compromise our loyalty to the NYU brand and even if it did, that's no excuse to prevent anyone from trying new things.

Also, I hate this language of globalization. It is not NYU's duty to take up the white man's burden or make money on these endeavors - we're a nonprofit. Nyarko and NYU President John Sexton are both correct when they claim that globalization can't be held back, but NYU should simply continue to distinguish itself: They will come to us, no colonization necessary.
Plus, the price of birth control at NYU Health Services more than doubles, and NYU is one of 60 schools fingered in the AG's probe of the relationships between financial aid offices and the outside lenders to which they refer students.

No comments:

Post a Comment